ORAL SURGERY SIMPLIFIED
Dr. Toby Bellamy
Session Date: Friday October 20, 2023
Session Time: 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM Limited Attendance To Dentists – Must Pre-Register – No Auditing Permitted
Session Cost: $305 early | $355 regular | $405 onsite
Presenter Name: Dr. Toby Bellamy
Oral surgery is an every day event in a dental practice. Fortunately many of the skills learned in dental school have been refined to enable faster and better healing. During this hands on course many everyday, and not so everyday scenarios will be discussed and practiced on life-like models which each participant can take to their practice. Procedures such as ridge preservation, sinus exposure and root fracture will be included.
By the end of the hands on session the participant will be able to:
- Discuss biopsy techniques and perform both an excisional biopsy and a punch incisional biopsy.
- Discuss suture techniques which include: simple interrupted, running (both locked and non-locked) sutures and figure 8 sutures.
- Discuss fractured root retrieval.
- Discuss and perform simple closure of an exposed sinus.
- Discuss and perform ridge preservation techniques which include the use or a resorbable and non-resorbable membrane.
- Management of impacted teeth
Participants Are Required To Bring:
- Gloves, Mask
- Periosteal elevator
- Blade handle and (2) 15 blades
- Straight elevator (Ideally Coupland #1 but 301 will do)
- Needle Driver with 3.0 silk suture (2 packs)
- Suture scissors
- Pots – or other curved elevator (if you have one)
- 77R elevator (if you have one)
- Retractor – Minnesota preferred
- Straight Curette (Hu-Friedy CM 2/4) (but curved will do)
- Straight Pick-ups or cotton forceps
- Kelly or curved hemostat
- Root tip pick
- Forceps (upper and lower universal will do)
About The Speaker
Dr. Toby Bellamy grew up in Quesnel, B.C. and began his pre-dental education at the University of British Columbia. He gained early entrance into the School of Dentistry in 1994 and received his dental degree in 1998. He practiced dentistry in Coquitlam for three years, during which time he completed an externship in Oral Surgery at the Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland. This experience sparked a deep interest in the surgical specialty, which led to his acceptance into the four year residency program in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. He returned to B.C. in 2005 and after completing his Canadian Fellowship exam joined as a partner at North Fraser Oral Surgery.
Dr. Bellamy enjoys teaching and is an associate clinical professor in the dentistry program at the University of British Columbia. He enjoys lecturing nationally and internationally regarding oral surgery and implant dentistry and is a keynote speaker for the American Institute of Implant Dentistry.
Dr. Bellamy is a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada, and the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. He is a member of the B.C. and the Canadian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
He also enjoys helping the profession and is past president of the B.C. Dental Specialist Society, B.C. Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and chair of the Sedation and General Anesthetic Services Committee with BCCOHP.