TODS FEATURED SPEAKER
SLEEP APNEA…A NOT SO SILENT KILLER: WHAT DENTAL HYGIENISTS NEED TO KNOW TO HELP SAVE LIVES
Ms. Kathleen Bokrossy, RDH
Session Date: Thursday October 19, 2023
Session Time: 6 PM – 9 PM
Presenter Name: Ms. Kathleen Bokrossy, RDH
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a disorder characterized by upper airway collapse during sleep. OSA is one of the most prevalent sleep disorders and is potentially fatal, affecting approximately 4-9% of the adult population. Like most sleep disorders, OSA is unrecognized, under-diagnosed and under-treated with an estimated 70-90% of cases going undiagnosed. Dental Hygienists are the first line of defence in recognizing and screening for potential OSA. We play a critical role in improving the quality and longevity of life of our clients.
Understanding the sleep disorder, how it affects our patients, how to screen for potential OSA, and recognize when to refer is in our area of influence.
- Learn what Obstructive Sleep Apnea is and the physical implications it has on our patients
- Elevate knowledge of the clinical signs and symptoms
- Learn screening tools to assess for potential Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Discover options for treatment, collaboration and when to refer
- Learn options available to treat Sleep Apnea and the importance of following-up with our patients once treatment has started
BC RDH QAP – C1
About The Speaker
Kathleen Bokrossy, RDH has been bringing engaging energy to the dental profession for over 30 years. Kathleen is the founder and president of rdhu Inc., a KOL for Curion, Crest & Oral B, Ivoclar Vivadent and on the Editorial Committee for Oral Hygiene with the Oral Health Group. An interactive and popular presenter, Kathleen is passionate about making change happen and ensures that every program she presents will ignite a spark in the dental hygienist to implement change in their practice right away! Her vision and passion are to help ‘Transform the Dental Hygiene Experience’ for the clinician, the practice, and their patients.