Thursday-Saturday, October 23-25, 2014 • Delta Grand Okanagan Resort • Kelowna, British Columbia
TODS Featured Speaker – Ms. Jen Charbonneau, RDH
Eating Disorder Awareness in Dentistry
Thursday October 24, 2013 7:10pm – 9:00pm
Eating disorders are a silent epidemic. The earliest symptoms of an eating disorder manifest themselves orally. Dental professionals are perfectly positioned to see evidence in the oral cavity every day.
• Would you know what to look for?
• What about the subtle signs?
• Do you realize what this means for this patient’s oral cavity 5 years from now?
• Did you know 10-20% of sufferers die either from the physical consequences or as a result of suicide?
• Did you know that other health care professionals will often turn to dentists/hygienists to confirm their suspicions?
Dynamic Interactive Presentation for Dental Professionals covers:
• Types of Eating Disorders/Issues
• Recognition of Signs and Symptoms
• Predisposing Factors/Causes
• Who’s at Risk?
• Your professional role/responsibility
• Treatment options
• Prevention Strategies
• Case Study Review
Jen Charbonneau is passionate about building self-esteem and strength in woman and girls today. She successfully created and facilitates “So Glad 2 Be Me”; a healthy body image/self esteem workshop for girls ages 8-12 years.
She combines a focus in psychology with a Crisis Management Counselling program to bring a well-rounded approach to her passion. She is a “Kids Have Stress Too” facilitator; a program offered through the Psychology Foundation of Canada.
With over 20 years experience as a Registered Dental Hygienist, Jen is also an educator and advocate with the oral implications of eating disorders. She created the innovative workshop “Eating Disorder Awareness in Dentistry” designed specifically to educate Dental Health Care Professionals.